This is probably the simplest dessert I have come across which looks so good too! I tried making Quindim two times and from the first to the second time, I learnt a few new things.Using proper moulds & separating egg yolks - I have included what I learnt about these two aspects of this recipe here as well.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Mix everything except the glucose syrup with a spatula.
- Once the mix is ready, glaze the pie-moulds (you will need 8 of them) with the glucose or sugar syrup.
- Pour the mix into the moulds.
- In a roasting pan or any similar baking pan, place the moulds.
- Pour boiling water into the pan till the water reaches 3/4th the height of the moulds.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake at 180 degrees for 25minutes. (If you are using a Microwave oven, keep the pan on a stand for even baking)
- Once baked, let the moulds cool down.
- Pop out the quindims out of the moulds, decorate with some coconut flakes and serve!
- Separating the egg yolks without messing up your hands - Take an empty plastic soft drink bottle, squeeze it and keep it on top of the yolk as you release. The yolk will be sucked into the bottle and you can then squeeze it out onto another plate!
- I tried making the dessert in one single baking dish and I had to bake it for 2.5 hrs. So, use small moulds because the water bath will cook Quindim just at the edges keeping the center moist!